From the author of the Night's Dawn Trilogy, a novella and six stories set in the same brilliantly realized universe:
- Sonnie's Edge. The popular sport of "beastie-baiting" involves contests to the death between artificial monsters controlled via human affinity bonds. Sonnie's team is particularly successful...but her monster, "Khanivore", has one special advantage.
- A Second Chance at Eden. A bitek habitat which orbits Jupiter, mining the fusion fuel on which Earth is dependent, Eden is a mini-nation of radical politics and even more radical technology. Then its creator is murdered in full view, but nobody can identify the perpetrator - or the motive.
- New Days Old Times. Settlers came to the planet Nyvan hoping for a lifestyle free of Earthbound hatreds. Alas, though environments may change, human nature does not.
- Candy Buds. The crime-lord Laurus rules Kariwak with an iron fist, jealously guarding control of the bitek trade. But when an astonishing new substance appears on the streets, virtual reality takes on an entirely new dimension.
- Deathday. On a desolate planet, and man wages an obsessive campaign of retribution against the last survivor of an alien race. But vengeance can cut both ways.
- The Lives and Loves of Tiarella Rosa. A passion that spans two generations of women...and endures beyond.