Anyone can run a blog, a web site offering running commentary that can range from personal diary entries to political analysis to technology observations. From everyday people to Elvis Costello and RuPaul, bloggers are making their voices heard around the world. Essential Blogging
helps you select the right blogging software for your needs and shows you how to get your blog up and running.
You'll learn the ingredients of a successful blog and get detailed installation, configuration, and operation instructions for the leading blogging software: Blogger, Radio Userland, Movable Type, and Blosxom. After showing you how to acquire, setup, and run these leading software packages, Essential Blogging
takes you through the more advanced features, so that by the time you finish, you'll be up and blogging with the best of them. Essential Blogging
- A survey of desktop blogging clients and a discussion of the pros and cons of self-hosting your blog versus using a blog-hosting service.
- The important components of a blog and a blog post.
- Hosted blogging with Blogger.
- Desktop blogging with Radio Userland.
- Server blogging with Movable Type.
- Posting, editing, deleting, and adding pictures to blog entries.
- Advanced features, such as customizing the appearance of your blog with templates, managing archives of blog entries, and adding comments to your blog.
- Syndicating your stories with RSS.
- Advice and experience from real-world bloggers.
Written by prominent bloggers and authors of blogging tools, Essential Blogging
is a no-nonsense guide to the technology of blogging.