Use the GI to manage type 1 diabetes in your child.
With diagnosis of type 1 diabetes having almost doubled in the last five years, this handy guide companion to Australia's original New York Times bestseller, the Low GI Diet Handbook
, is a vital tool in the daily management of diabetes in young people, making it easier than ever to use the GI and help your child with diabetes enjoy the same foods as their friends and family. With specific sections for each stage of childhood it provides reliable information about blood glucose control and the foods that will assist it and also includes:
- Delicious lunch box and meal ideas;
- Pantry, fridge and freezer suggestions;
- Alternatives for sporty and active children;
- Tips on dealing with toddlers and fussy eaters;
- Advice and answers to commonly asked questions for children of every age.
The most significant dietary finding of the last 25 years, the glycemic index (GI) is an easy-to-understand measure of how food affects blood glucose levels and gas revolutionised the way we eat.