From leading skills expert Richard Nelson-Jones, this third edition remains the most accessible and practical introduction to the basic counselling skills essential for the helping professions. Steeped in vivid case examples, experimental activities and therapeutic dialogue, this multidisciplinary book provides a thorough, step-by-step guide to the subject, working through each stage of the helping process. The key skills covered include:
- Starting, structuring and summarizing the helping process;
- Active listening;
- Offering challenges and feedback;
- Facilitating problem solving;
- Improving clients' self-tale, rules and perceptions;
- Coaching, demonstrating and rehearsing;
- Managing resistance and changing referrals;
- Conducting and terminating help.
Accessible, practical and concise, this bestselling book also discusses ethical issues and dilemmas, multicultural and gender aware helping, providing a master class for anyone using counselling skills in the course of their work.