Getting to Yes
is recognized worldwide as the most effective and practical guide to negotiation. Published in more than 20 languages, it has helped millions of people turn adversarial haggling into constructive joint problem-solving.
Everyone negotiates something every day: conflict is a growth industry. Everyone wants to participate in decisions that affect them, and whether in business, government or the family, people reach most decisions through negotiation.
This book provides a few powerful and easily remembered principles which will guide you to success no matter what the other side does or whatever tricks they try.
- Don't bargain over positions.
- Separate the people from the problem.
- Focus on interests, not positions.
- Invent options for mutual gain.
- Insist on objective criteria.
- What if they are more powerful?
- What if they won't play?
- What if they use dirty tricks?