Millions of readers literally defined their lives through Gail Sheehy's landmark bestseller, Passages
. Now, twenty years later, Sheehy finds that a historic revolution has occurred in the adult life cycle.
The old demarcations and descriptions of adulthood, beginning at 21 and ending at 65, are hopelessly out of date. In New Passages
, Gail Sheehy discovers and maps out a completely new frontier - a Second Adulthood in middle life.
People are taking longer to grow up and much longer to die - thereby shifting forward all the stages of adulthood by up to ten years.
- Young people are waiting until their 30s to marry and start families.
- Men and women now in their 40s feel five to ten years younger.
- More and more women are having children in their 40s or over.
- 50-year-old men are increasingly being forced into early retirement.
- 50 is what 40 used to be.
- 60 is what 50 used to be.
- Healthy men and women who reach age 50 today can expect to see their 80th or 90th birthdays.
is the first book to address the new dilemmas and demands each generation of today now faces.