In this straightforward book, psychologist and parenting author Gisela Preuschoff considers important issues for parents who are raising girls today. These include how to:
- Understanding the key emotional and physical aspects of girls' development, from babyhood to adolescence.
- Appreciate the behavioural differences between girls and boys - and what they mean for you.
- Realise the importance of having a close bond with your daughter.
- Recognise the importance of fathers to daughters.
- Understand how self-esteem can reduce your daughter's fears.
- Choose a girl-friendly school.
- Keep your daughter on track in the turbulent teen years.
- Counter the negative messages girls receive about their place in society.
In Raising Girls
, Gisela Preuschoff includes stories from Australian families and encourages parents to recognise their daughter's special talents. She writes: "Each child has a life's work that she is trying to fulfil. You can start to see what your daughter's life's work is by observing her interests and what gives her pleasure, because pleasure comes from the heart; it cannot be artificially created by external circumstancesà In adulthood, many peopleà turn away from their life's work. People don't find happiness this wayà"