Writing is a craft, an art, a gift, a revelation; it is also often challenging and lonely work. And that is just the start - whether your aim is to get through the obstacle course of publishing, or to develop a talent into a sustaining occupation. The Writer's Guide
offers ideas and practical help towards all kinds of goals - for writing fiction or fact, for work or pleasure, for print, performance or the screen, for personal development or a wide readership. Topics include:
- developing tools and skills;
- gathering and researching material;
- drafting, revising, editing;
- writing and the new technology;
- formal and legal considerations;
- understanding your readership;
- constructive feedback, writing groups, tuition;
- finding publishing outlets;
- commercial publishing, self-publishing;
- marketing, reviews, publicity.
During the ten years Irina Dunn has been Executive Director of the NSW Writers' Centre, she has advised on every conceivable question an aspiring writer faces. Irina has also been an English tutor, consultant editor and arts administrator. She has drawn on this wealth of experience, and complemented it with expertise from practitioners and other writers' centres, to prepare this essential guide for all those who want to write, especially in Australia and New Zealand.